THE OFFICIAL ASSEMBLY OF A TRADITIONAL CHICAGO-STYLE HOT DOG
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Yields: 6–8 Servings
The toppings are just as important as the order they are applied to the hot dog. The goal is to evenly distribute the toppings so you get a taste of each ingredient with every bite. Remember, dress the dog and not the bun!
1 package hot dogs ("Best's Kosher®", "Vienna Beef®" or other all beef dog)
1 package Poppy Seed hot dog buns
¼ cup yellow mustard
¼ cup Rolf's® deli style sweet pickle relish
½ cup white onions
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 jar Claussen® kosher dill pickles
1 jar sport peppers
¼ cup celery salt
Start out by placing your heated hot dog on the bun and add the toppings in the following order:
- Yellow mustard - Squirt the mustard directly on the dog from one end to the other.
- Bright green relish - Add a generous amount of sweet relish.
- Fresh chopped onions - Place onions on top of the dog. The amount depends on your personal taste.
- Two tomato wedges - The tomatoes should be placed along the crevice between the top of the bun and the hot dog.
- Pickle spear or slice - The pickle should be placed in the crevice between the bottom of the bun and the hot dog.
- Two sport peppers- Traditionally 2 sport peppers are added on top of a Chicago dog, but the sport pepper is often considered an optional topping.
- Celery salt - Sprinkle a dash of celery salt over the dog.