This good-looking fruit- and vegetable-filled coleslaw tastes unbelievable
with barbecued ribs, shredded pork, you name it! Always make more
than you think you will need because you are sure to eat more than
you plan to. Do not let the slaw sit for too long before serving
or the apples and avocados may darken. Once it is dressed, lemon
juice will retard this process.
INGREDIENTS FOR DRESSING:
- 1 cup poppy-seed dressing, store bought
- 1 cup lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tsp salt
INGREDIENTS FOR SLAW:
- 1 large head purple or green cabbage, cored, halved, sliced
1/2 to 3/4-inch thick, chopped
- 2 cups whole seedless red and green grapes
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 2 tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 5 to 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsps cilantro, chopped
To make the dressing, whisk poppy seed dressing with lemon juice.
Season with pepper and salt. Cover and refrigerate for at least
1 hour and up to 6 hours. To make the slaw, toss the cabbage, grapes,
avocados, apples and pecans in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Pour
the dressing over the slaw. Add onions, cilantro and mix gently.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.