This stew combines quintessential German foods such as bratwurst,
potatoes and cabbage. For a true Oktoberfest celebration, enjoy
with a few beers.
- 1 pound cooked bratwurst, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup diced red bell peppers
- 2 tbsps minced garlic
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 head cabbage, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tbsps flour
- 4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
- Louisiana hot sauce to taste
In a large Dutch oven, heat canola oil over medium heat. Sauté
bratwurst, potatoes, onions, celery, bell peppers, garlic, salt
and black pepper. Add chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce
heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are nearly done.
Add cabbage and carrots. Cook until tender. Add 2½ cups milk.
Combine remaining ½ cup milk with flour. Gradually stir milk/flour
mixture into stew to thicken. When stew is thickened and bubbly,
stir in cheese until melted. Season with hot sauce.