Romantics say that it's the simple things in life that are best.
Well if that's so, then this simple crawfish and squash salad should
set hearts aglow. I recommend serving it in a beautiful cut crystal
bowl to enhance its presentation.
- 1 pound crawfish tails
- 3 medium zucchini squash, shredded
- 3 medium summer squash, shredded
- 1 small Bermuda onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 2 tbsps garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/3 cup salad oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
In a large mixing bowl, combine crawfish, squash, 1 small Bermuda
onion, bell peppers, garlic and relish. In a separate mixing bowl,
combine salad oil, wine vinegar, basil, thyme, salt and pepper.
Using a wire whisk, whip until well-blended. Pour marinade evenly
over vegetable mixture, cover and refrigerate salad overnight. Prior
to serving, toss and drain off any excess liquid. Place the salad
into a decorative serving bowl and garnish with edible flower petals
such as pansies, dianthus, violets or marigolds.