Flavored fruit salads have many variations throughout the country.
Often they simply call for only one or, at the most, two main ingredients.
In Louisiana, we tend to use all that is at hand to create an ambrosia
unlike any other.
- 1 -20 ounce can sliced peaches
- 1 -20 ounce can crushed pineapple
- 6 mandarin oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 diced red apple
- 1 diced green apple
- 1 -3 1/2 ounce can flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced maraschino cherries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 -8 ounce carton Cool Whip
In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the
strawberries and Cool Whip. Toss the ingredients well to ensure
that they are thoroughly mixed. Cover with clear wrap and place
in the refrigerator for a minimum of four hours, allowing ingredients
to marinate. Immediately prior to serving, fold in the sliced strawberries
and the Cool Whip. Blend until the fruit is well-coated with the
"dressing". You may wish to serve a spoonful of the ambrosia
in a slice of butter lettuce and garnish with grated cheddar cheese
for added affect.