Here is a great way to use up that leftover fried chicken
from Sunday night's game. It combines fried chicken with that old
favorite, macaroni and cheese. What could be more flavorful?
- 1 (8-ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 cup smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp mustard
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 (11.5-ounce) package Bittersweet Plantation Dairy Creole Cream
- 1½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup diced spicy fried chicken, de-boned
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a saucepan, melt butter over
medium-high heat. Add sausage and brown slightly. Do not burn the
butter. Add onions, celery and red bell peppers and sauté
35 minutes until vegetables are wilted. Sprinkle in flour
and blend to create white roux, do not brown flour. Add paprika,
mustard and milk. Bring to a low boil stirring occasionally. Add
Creole cream cheese and cheddar cheese blending well into the mixture.
Stir until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Fold in fried chicken
pieces then season to taste using salt and pepper. Remove from heat
and set aside. In a bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
Set aside. Spray a 9" x 13" casserole dish with a non-stick
spray. Place cooked macaroni in the dish and blend in the cheese
mixture. Top with breadcrumbs and bake uncovered for 20 minutes
or until lightly browned.