The avocado is another of the New World's gifts to the Old, cradled
in Mexico along with corn. Like fresh corn, avocado is a natural
thickener for a sauce, and when you put the two together, you get
a heavenly golden-green cream that is beyond compare!
- 2 ears fresh sweet corn, kernels only
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsps garlic chives, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tomatillos, parboiled*
- 1 jalapeno chili, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 cups chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound angel-hair pasta, cooked al dente
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Into a blender, combine fresh sweet corn, avocado, garlic chives,
lemon juice, tomatillos, jalapeno chili, olive oil and 2 cups chicken
stock. Blend completely, adding remaining chicken stock as needed.
Season to taste using salt and pepper. When completely blended,
pour sauce into a sauté pan and bring to a low simmer, stirring
frequently for approximately 5-7 minutes. Pour sauce over cooked
pasta, toss and serve with a bowl of Parmesan cheese passed separately.
* Tomatillo's are South Western tomatoes that are approximately
the size of a golf ball, green with a parchment type paper shell
around the tomato.