Shrimp and Tomato Grits
Prep Time: 1 hour
Yields: 6 servings
Ingredients for Shrimp:
- 2 dozen (21-25 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup minced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup minced yellow bell pepper
- ¼ cup minced green bell pepper
- ½ cup minced red onion
- ½ cup minced celery
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups shrimp stock
- ½ cup cream
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- salt and black pepper to taste
In a large sauté pan, heat butter over medium-high heat.
Add all vegetables and sauté 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add flour and stir 3-5 minutes or until slightly golden. Add shrimp
stock 1 cup at a time stirring until mixture achieves a sauce-like
consistency. Blend in cream then bring to a low boil. Add green
onions and shrimp. Cook 3-5 minutes or until shrimp are curled and
pink. Season with salt and pepper. Serve a generous portion of sauce
and 4 large shrimp over each portion of grits.
Ingredients for Grits:
- 1 cup yellow stone ground grits
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup bacon, chopped
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup sliced garlic
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsps canned chopped green chilies
- ¼ cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Reserve drippings
in pan. Add tomatoes, butter and garlic. Sauté until garlic
is tender. Mix in water, cream, salt and chilies then bring to a
boil. Gradually stir in grits, blending well. Reduce heat to medium-low.
Cover and cook 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally until thickened.
Remove from the heat then blend in cheese until melted.