Not all breads take the whole day to make. With these quick recipes, bread can be served piping hot in less than an hour.Beer gives a yeasty flavor to this quick bread made without yeast. Slices of the bread are good toasted or sandwiched around a filling of choice.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp double-acting baking powder
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1 12-ounce bottle of beer (not dark)
- 1/2 cup chopped drained sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, reserving 1 tsp
- of the oil
- 1/3 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
Preheat oven to 350° F and grease and flour a loaf pan, 9 by 5 by 3 inches. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Then add the egg, beer, tomatoes with reserved oil, and olives. Stir the batter until it is just combined. Turn the batter into the pan and bake the bread in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Turn the bread out onto a rack and let it cool.