Linda Bordelon, one of the winners of our
Stirrin’ It Up for the Holidays recipe contest, sent in this
recipe for a great little party appetizer. These pistolettes are
perfect for holiday get-togethers or tailgating parties.
- 2 (12-piece) bags of Pepperidge Farm or CobblestoneMill pistolettes
- 2 (10-ounce) boxes chopped broccoli
- 2 lbs ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 (15-ounce) jar Cheez Whiz
- 1 (15.5-ounce) jar Tostitos Salsa Con Queso Dip
- salt, pepper, and granulated garlic to taste
- butter flavored cooking spray
- 1 (12-ounce) bag finely shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut each pistolette in half, from the
middle down (not lengthwise), and scoop out the bread forming a
small cup-like shape. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside. In
a medium saucepot, boil broccoli according to package directions.
Do not over-boil. When done, drain and cool. In a large skillet
over medium-high heat, cook meat until browned completely. Season
with salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Drain meat then place in
a large mixing bowl. Add broccoli, Cheez Whiz and queso dip. Broccoli
will mash during mixing. Take one pistolette half and spray the
outside and inside the top edge with cooking spray. Spoon one tablespoon
of meat mixture into buttered pistolette. Continue this buttering
and filling process with each pistolette half. On a foil covered
jellyroll pan, stand the pistolettes on pointed end, side by side.
Place pan in oven and bake about 15 minutes or until nicely browned.
Take pistolettes out of the oven and sprinkle generously with shredded
cheese. Allow cheese to melt and serve on a large platter.